Friday, September 6, 2024

Jerusalem, a Useless Vine

 

Ezekiel 15:1-8

 

November 26, 2023

 

Jerusalem, a Useless Vine

And the word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, how does the wood of the vine surpass any wood, the vine branch that is among the trees of the forest?  Is wood taken from it to make anything? Do people take a peg from it to hang any vessel on it?  Behold, it is given to the fire for fuel. When the fire has consumed both ends of it, and the middle of it is charred, is it useful for anything?  Behold, when it was whole, it was used for nothing. How much less, when the fire has consumed it and it is charred, can it ever be used for anything!  Therefore, thus says the Lord God: Like the wood of the vine among the trees of the forest, which I have given to the fire for fuel, so have I given up the inhabitants of Jerusalem.  And I will set my face against them. Though they escape from the fire, the fire shall yet consume them, and you will know that I am the Lord when I set my face against them.  And I will make the land desolate because they have acted faithlessly, declares the Lord God.”

 

We serve or don’t serve an unchangeable God who keeps His promises.  

Deuteronomy 8:7-8

For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and springs, flowing forth in valleys and hills; a land of wheat and barley, of vines and fig trees and pomegranates, a land of olive oil and honey;

 

That was great, and yet they desired to chase after the little gods of the nations around them, and now God is fulfilling a promise He made if they did so.

Jeremiah 2:21

“Yet I planted you a choice vine, A completely faithful seed.  How then have you turned yourself before Me Into the degenerate shoots of a foreign vine?

 

Has the Church, not a denomination or building, but the body of Christ followed after the World, has its action often had the flavor of the World?  It is an attitude that Jesus is not enough to attract the youth and young couples.  Maybe it is time for a wake-up call from Jesus.

 

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.  Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.  If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.  If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.  As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.  (John 15:1-10) 

 

Six times in these verses Jesus is telling each of us who is in Christ what must happen to be His disciple.  I have often not been, and I found it has required me to; once more examine myself, 2 Corinthians 13:5, “Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? —unless indeed you fail to meet the test!”  Have you asked God is my wood, or life, like the wood God is talking to Ezekiel about in Chapter 15: 1-8?

 

From the Back Porch,

 

Bob Rice

No comments: