Saturday, August 17, 2024

My Spiritual Journey

 


My Spiritual Journey  

 

From my spiritual birth at 27, I was told that if I wanted to grow in my walk with the Lord, each morning I should read a Psalm, and a chapter in Proverbs, to be ready for my day.  After many years of doing so and being active in church life, it hit me that my flesh was still in control.  In seeking Truth, I ran across this guy from the 1600s named Blaise Pascal, who said; "I have discovered that all human evil comes from this, man's being unable to sit still in a room." Another quote was; "All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."  As I pondered on those two quotes, this Scripture came into my mind; "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10 )  Is that what Blaise was referring to, so I set my mind and heart on doing so?  

 

You may be surprised at what began to happen, I was confronted with my sins, I became aware of God's protection over me and my family, I became aware that He loves a rascal like me, and that if I would be still and wait for Him to lead, in that He had a plan for my life.  I also learned that it was not the amount of Scripture that I read, but the seeking of His direction, by applying what I had learned.   This was what took place in my life, often one verse of Scripture was what the Lord wanted me to learn that day, for it was not my performance but my obedience He desired. 

 

Often, we are told to seek His face, it has been my experience to do so I need to set aside time to do so, it begins by being alone in a quiet place with the mindset of seeking His present.  To dwell on knowing Him better, to learn from Him, and to be still and listen for His plan for that day.

 

I’ve attended a Baptist Church since birth, and have come to this conclusion; the amount of Scripture they want to cover in Adult class is more about performance, not application.

 

 

From the Back Porch,

 

Bob Rice 

No comments: