Tuesday, August 6, 2024

The Proclamation of Cyrus

 

2 Chronicles 36:22-23

 

October 2, 2023

 

The Proclamation of Cyrus

Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom and also put it in writing: “Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, ‘The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and he has charged me to build him a house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever is among you of all his people, may the Lord his God be with him. Let him go up.’”

 

King Nebuchadnezzar made a foolish young king swear by his God that he would not rebel but he did and death and destruction follow.  Jeremiah had given the prophecy that the Jewish people would be in captivity for 70 years.  It is important to remember, but yet 150 years before it took place the Lord God of Creation showed Isaiah the prophet that Cyrus king of Persia, and called him by name would set his people free, and provide to restore Judea, and provide funds and material to build God temple.  King David gave us this information; The Psalmist David had this to say, “Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them.” (Psalm 139:16)  Now you and I will never get our hands around our God, for His ways are not ours. Still, by faith, we know in our heart that it is true.  And we know that because God has sent His Holy Spirit to reveal it to us.

 

“Got Question” is a great resource, and this is what they had to say on this subject: “In one of the most amazing prophecies of the Bible, the Lord revealed Cyrus’s decree to free the Jews to Isaiah. One hundred fifty years before Cyrus lived, the prophet calls him by name and gives details of Cyrus’ benevolence to the Jews: “This is what the Lord says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him . . . ‘I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me’” (Isaiah 45:14; see also 41:2-25; 42:6). Evincing His sovereignty over all nations, God says of Cyrus, “He is my shepherd and will accomplish all that I please” (Isaiah 44:28).”

 

Let me end with a word from my friend, Carmen Pate, “The Apostle Paul describes God’s power as unlimited, incredibly great, mighty and at work in you and me.  It is the same power that raised Christ from death!  Be aware of God’s power in you and call on Him to keep you strong.  You have my love and Prayers.”

 

From the Back Porch,

 

Bob Rice

No comments: