Sunday, August 11, 2024

Seeking the Face of God

 

 

 

                                Seeking the Face of God

 

August 8, 2024

 

 Shall we look at several Scriptures that address the Subject? 

 

2 Chronicles 7:14, If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”   This Scripture is not referring to those who go by the title of Christian, but to those God calls His Church, who have entered into a personal relationship, by confession and faith in the atoning blood of Jesus Christ.

 

Psalm 105:4, “Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!”  Most of you have experience seeking the presence and many have said I want to do this continually.  You enter into a dating relationship, and after a while, it is just not enough, so you get married.  

 

John 15:4,  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.”  In verse one Jesus has shared that He is the Vine.  “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.”   Do you recall Philips's exchange with the Lord, in John 14:6, “Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?”  May I encourage each of us to not be like Philip, seek the face of Jesus, seek His presence, and abide in Him. 

 

 

 

 But How to be a Seeker of God?

 

More Scripture to guide you:

 

Deuteronomy 4:29,  But from there you will seek the Lord your God and you will find him if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.”  Many years ago, Jan and I became seekers of Truth, and we first had to define truth, and Jesus is the Truth.  You will find that in John 14:6, “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”  You will not find truth in the world, all men are Liars, and only God is Truth.

 

1 Chronicles 16:10-11, “Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice! Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!”

 

Psalm 9:10, “And those who know your name put their trust in you,
    for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.”

 

Psalm 27:8, “You have said, “Seek my face.” My heart says to you, “Your face, Lord, do I seek.”

 

Psalm 40:16, “But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation say continually, “Great is the Lord!”

 

Jeremiah 29:13, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

 

Hosea 10:12, “Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap steadfast love; break up your fallow ground, for it is the time to seek the Lord, that he may come and rain righteousness upon you.”

 

Matthew 6:33, “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”

 

Luke 11:9-10, “And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.”

 

Acts 17:27, “He did this so they might seek God, and perhaps they might reach out and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us.”

Psalm 24:6, “Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek the face of the God of Jacob”

Psalm 34:4, “I sought the Lord, and he answered me
    and delivered me from all my fears.” 

Psalm 70:4, “May all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you!  May those who love your salvation say evermore, “God is great!”

Hebrews 11:6, “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”


Seeking His face, in my life has come from a need to be complete, I realize that like the apostle Paul, I desire to do good, but this sinful flesh often gets me off the road.  My only hope is to seek Him with my thoughts and ask His Spirit to guide my desire, my thoughts, and my actions.

From the Back Porch,

Bob Rice

No comments: