Saturday, June 29, 2024

The Highways of My Life

 

 

The Highways of My Life

 

I enjoy the highways of life, especially the eight-lane ones. When I was
a small child, the highways led to new adventures with little risk. Mom
and Dad were always there to ensure it was a small danger to me. 

When I became a teenager, the highways seemed so bright. 

I knew that my happiness had to be in flight.

As a young man, I acquired a wife, and the highways seem so

right together. Risk? What risk? The highways seemed to call. The faster you
drive, the less your conscience sees, the small pitfalls.

The world called me to the fast lane and promised many things. Things of
pleasure, hope, and fun, but it did require one little thing. I had to
get into a faster lane. One that required so much time, but it promised
power and wealth, and maybe even fame.

The highways of this world seemed to offer me real life, but the risks
were greater, and almost cost me my life. One day on my eight-lane highway to hell, I met a nonreligious man. He told me about His Father...another nonreligious Spirit. He talked about the highways of my life as if He had been with me all along. He knew all the curves, potholes, dead ends, and construction.

His love, and understanding, of my life drew me from the highway to His
rest stop. It was at that rest stop that I learned that He was the Master
Designer of all. At his rest stop, I was given a book; He called the
manufacturer's handbook. It was all about Him and His Father and His
promises.

I needed to stop at that rest stop. Afterward, I was not the same, and
when I re-entered the highway, it was only one lane. The Master Designer
had told me it would be a narrow road, but he did not tell me everything.
I have discovered that His narrow lane runs down the middle of my old
eight-lane highway. Yes, it goes against the traffic and all the high-risk travelers

 kept going faster and faster to nowhere.

Have I ever gotten off the narrow lane and back 
onto the eight-lane highway? 

The answer is yes, and I have had a few wrecks. But the Son of God, Jesus Christ, the Master Designer has promised to pick me up, and He is faithful, to return me to the contraflow, narrow lane.


This is what happened to me one day on the way to hell.

Bob Rice

No comments: