Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Keeping Silent - Passing on the Blessing




Psalm 39:1-5

“I said, “I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth while in the presence of the wicked.”  So I remained utterly silent, not even saying anything good.  But my anguish increased; my heart grew hot within me.  While I meditated, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue:  “Show me, Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is.  You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure.”
I am told that the Psalmist is upset with God for allowing the wicked to prosper, and he was keeping silent to keep from sinning.  Well, guess what, we live around such people who have no fear of God and many like________, and the _______ who believe they have hidden their evil actions. (You fill in the name)  I understand what this Psalmist is telling us, it is not easy to keep your tongue from speaking the names of such evil people.  And as his emotions ran wild, then he ask the Lord to show him the end of his life and the number of days he had left.  Not sure if God did that, but this I do know he came to this conclusion; “Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure.”

Psalm 39: 6

“Surely a man goes about as a shadow!  Surely for nothing, they are in turmoil; man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather!”  It matters not the profession, many a person has achieved great human accomplishments, and yet few are remembered by name to the public at large.  Many a person has sacrificed and toiled long hours to leave wealth to a family or child, only to have it wasted in a few short years. I believe it was Albert Einstein who said this, "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

One who follows the teaching of Scripture has this counsel; “A good man leaves an inheritance to his grandchildren, but the sinner's wealth is stored up for the righteous.”  (Proverbs 13:22)  Jan and I are leaving what God has given us to    our family, also to organizations that are being faithful to help the under resourced people of this world and share Jesus’ gospel with them.  To the best of our knowledge, we have been committed to the Lord and He has provided; our prayer is that these organizations and our family will also be faithful.  But, we will not care for we will have finished our race, and will be in the presence of our Redeemer Jesus Christ.

From the Back Porch,

Bob Rice

No comments: