Tuesday, September 24, 2019

“I’ve seen the enemy, and it is me”




Psalm 40:12-17

“For troubles without number surround me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.  They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails within me.   Be pleased to save me, Lord; come quickly, Lord, to help me.   May all who want to take my life be put to shame and confusion; may all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace.   May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!” be appalled at their shame.  But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, “The Lord is great!”   But as for me, I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer; you are my God, do not delay.”

I’m sure you have heard the phrase; “I’ve seen the enemy, and it is me” how well that applies to King David but does it also take residence in your life and mine.  His sins had overtaken the King, and most of his troubles were because of his sins.  And what about verse 13; is David’s cry any different than ours?  No, we also cry out to the Lord, save us, help me, and then we often try to blame it on those wicked people who are out to get us.

I wonder if God may not be using those who we want to destroy us as tools in His hand to bring us to confession and repentance?  I am well aware of how God does this in my own life when we get full of ourselves, and as a young man in my thirties I almost gave away everything chasing after lust.  But God, how I love those two words, yes, but God sent both the prophets and the enemies into my life to bring me to see sin as God does.

As I watch the current events in our Nation, and I wonder if verse 14-15, is not what is happening to those who hate our President.  “Let those who seek to take my life be disgraced and confounded.  Let those who wish me harm be driven back and humiliated.   Let those who say to me, “Aha, aha!” be horrified because of their shame.” (HCSB)  I am not a prophet or the son of a prophet, but I do know the word of God is active and sharper than any two-edged sword.

As we finish this chapter, David is asking a blessing on all who are a seeker of God, and that they would rejoice and be glad in the LORD.  Do you find joy and love for the God of your salvation?   And like all of us who stumble and fall short of God’s glory, we like the King proclaim; You, oh Lord are our helper and deliver us.

From the Back Porch,
Bob Rice

No comments: