Thursday, November 10, 2011

Looking Forward


Hebrews 11:13-16

Jan and I have been blessed to travel to some of the coolest places on this earth, and we have fond memories of many of those places, but as fond as the memory is, it was always good to return to the United States and Texas.  I also traveled some in my business and enjoyed seeing the historical Egypt and many countries in the Gulf area.  But I was an alien and stranger to many of those countries in the Gulf area; their culture and customs were foreign to everything I knew and loved.

Is that not what the Scripture is proclaiming in verses 13-16, that Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, and Jacob all were looking forward to a city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God.  As we look at verse 13-16, “These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland.  If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return.  But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one.  Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.”

We have all heard the saying; “Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one is in a hurry to get there.”  Have you ever given any thought to that statement, because though said in jest, it has the ring of truth?  As stated above, we enjoy travel but we always like coming back to Canyon Lake, Texas, to our little dwelling.  I cannot speak for you and I’m not going to speak for Jan, but my problem is Canyon Lake, Texas, feels like home.  I will acknowledge that heaven is my future, and I will acknowledge that in heaven I no longer will have pain, struggles, apprehension; all of that is exchanged for total peace, love, and oneness with my Lord.  I will no longer need time, and I will be in the presence of Creator God the Father, and Son and Holy Spirit, and will not be afraid.  I will experience dimensions that the human mind will never even dream about, I will see a new world and a new heaven, and I will understand truth. 

So what is my problem, could it be that I do not believe what is written, could it be that I do not see myself as an alien and stranger in this world?   Could it be that 1 John 2:15-17 has not registered in my heart and mind?  “Do not love the world or the things in the world.  If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is in the world – the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions – is not from the Father but is from the world.  And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.”  Dear Jesus, renew my mind and heart to see myself as a stranger in Canyon Lake, Texas, who is awaiting his trip home.

Form the Back Porch,

Bob Rice

No comments: