Wednesday, November 30, 2011

“Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.”

Hebrews 13:7

This action of the apostle Paul would change the lives of many in our local church if our leaders only did as he did?  When using 1 Corinthians 11:1 in a teaching or sermon, I‘ve heard preachers and teachers take a different road than the apostle Paul, and it sounds so much better than what Paul proclaimed to Timothy and others in the early church, and to you and me.  In that verse Paul stated; “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.” and most preachers and teachers teaching on that verse tell us not to follow my example, but follow Christ.  As a teacher or a mentor, that sounds so humble, not brash or arrogant as the apostle Paul, but is it?  And we must ask this question, is Paul’s position in keeping with other Scriptures?  And is the pastor or teacher who tells you not to model his actions following the leadership of the Holy Spirit, or just telling you the truth, that their life is not worthy of your model?  When the apostle Paul uses the word imitate He is saying, watch the outflow of Christ who lives in me.

I personally have told young couples that my life was not to be modeled and that they should look to Jesus only; what a bad testimony!  What am I proclaiming, could it be that Christ does not live in me, or that I will not believe or submit to His authority in my life?  Paul never claimed perfection, but the desire of his heart was to be an imitator of Jesus Christ.  As one who has had both the honor and responsibility of teaching the Bible to others, should I not take to heart Philippians 3:12-17, “Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own.  But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.  Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.  Only let us hold to what we have attained.  Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.”

Paul tells the church of the Thessalonians, in chapter 2:8 that we shared more than the gospel of God; we shared with you our own selves, because you have become dear to us.  And in verse 10, “You are witnesses, and God also, how holy and righteous and blameless was our conduct toward you believers.  And how was this done, verse 11, 12, “For you know how, like a father with his children, we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory.”

What the church needs are men and women who imitate Christ, who understand that victorious living is found in letting Christ live out His life in you.  Those men and women  can tell the ones they are mentoring the following: “And what you heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.” (2 Timothy 2:2)  Follow me as I follow Christ, or Christ in me the hope of glory.
From the Back Porch,

Bob Rice

No comments: