Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Jesus does understand what you are Experiencing

 
Hebrews 2:17-18


It is great when someone tells us I understand what you are experiencing; I’ve also been through that same situation or experience.  If they have not experienced it they are just being nice, but you understand they have no real understanding of your circumstance.  That is what Hebrews 2:17 is saying Jesus understands, in that He was made like his brother’s in every way; Jesus understands your situation.  In no way does that imply that Jesus was sinful, in fact the Holy Spirit addresses that point in Hebrews 4:15, “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.”  

As a small child Jesus obeyed His parents, as a young man He honored His mother and father, in His death He honored His mother by making sure she was cared for.  Folks, his hormones were no different than yours and yet He refused to submit to them.  I have no doubt that He had business dealings as a carpenter and was tempted by pride or greed.  No one else in all creation has been attacked in every way known to man by evil, as was Jesus, yet he did not sin. 

My greatest need at this stage of life is to understand that Jesus called me friend, that He  is also my big brother.  That He understands so much more than my circumstance, He was my designer, and His love for me does not hinge on my performance.  This is why Hebrews 2:17-18, should speak to our hearts: “Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.  For because he himself has suffered when temped, he is able to help those who are being tempted.”

From the Back Porch,

Bob Rice

No comments: