Friday, September 23, 2011

Logic that makes no Sense

 
Hebrews 2:5-9

Have you ever said, it just does not make sense, and whatever the problem is you are confused.   For me, that was algebra, it mattered not what the teacher said, pie was not square and it was to be eaten.  No matter what I tried I could not get my mind to understand the logic of algebra, and yet I do understand it is based in logic.  But what if what we call logic, the theory of deductive and inductive arguments does not work?  What is left for us, not common sense, because it does not make sense, so we now have to choose to agree that it is beyond our reasoning and our understanding, and that we by faith will accept it as truth; or we will say it is beyond my understanding, and I choose to reject it.   That may be where you find yourself when reading these verses!

The Creator, putting on skin is one thing, the Creator choosing to be born to a virgin is quite another, but let your mind go to this, the Creator choosing to become lower in form and in power, and in authority than His creation, totally dependant on His Father.  We find this in Philippians 2:5-8, “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: “Who being in the very nature” God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.  And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death on a cross!” It is very important to add this insight, “The comment of a great scholar on Phil. 2:7.  Is "emptied, stripped Himself of the insignia of majesty"; and again, "He divested Himself, not of His divine nature, for this was impossible, but of the glories, the prerogatives, of Deity. This He did by taking upon Him the form of a servant" (Commentary on Philippians, 12th ed., 1908, by Bp. Lightfoot.). 

This is beyond my understanding, for you see being God, He had full knowledge, full understanding of man.  He chose to create man with the full knowledge that His actions would require Him to ask His Son, His only Son to step out of glory, to take on flesh and to die for the sins of man.  With full knowledge that man would reject this great and precious gift, if you say you fully grasp that, you’re a liar.  It is dumbfounding, it is astonishing, or as mother would say, “it just flabbergasts me.” 

I’ve come to this understanding; I do not want a God that I’m equal with in knowledge or understanding, that is a small god, then he would look and act just like me.  I have by both knowledge and understanding come to this understanding found in Isaiah 55:8-9.  “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.  As heaven is higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”  It comes down to whom you believe, and what action you put to that belief.

From the Back Porch,

Bob Rice


No comments: