Wednesday, April 5, 2023

A prayer of David.

  

Psalm 17

 

December 26, 2021

 

 

A prayer of David.

Hear me, Lord, my plea is just;  listen to my cry.  Hear my prayer—it does not rise from deceitful lips.  Let my vindication come from you;  may your eyes see what is right.  Though you probe my heart,  though you examine me at night and test me, you will find that I have planned no evil;  my mouth has not transgressed.  Though people tried to bribe me,    I have kept myself from the ways of the violent through what your lips have commanded.  My steps have held to your paths;   my feet have not stumbled.  I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;   turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.  Show me the wonders of your great love,   you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes.  Keep me as the apple of your eye;  hide me in the shadow of your wings from the wicked who are out to destroy me,  from my mortal enemies who surround me.  They close up their callous hearts,  and their mouths speak with arrogance. They have tracked me down, they now surround me,   with eyes alert, to throw me to the ground.  They are like a lion hungry for prey,   like a fierce lion crouching in cover.  Rise up, Lord, confront them, bring them down;  with your sword rescue me from the wicked.  By your hand save me from such people, Lord,  from those of this world whose reward is in this life. May what you have stored up for the wicked fill their bellies;  may their children gorge themselves on it,  and may there be leftovers for their little ones.  As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face;  when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.

 

I must ask your forgiveness for my not skipping around on this Psalm.  Shall we begin with a question, my years of being in sales have had an impact on my thoughts, so, the question is do you pray, and if so to whom?  King David was not always a King, no he was a shepherd of sheep, and he was only a boy, the youngest of his family, and spent many a night lying in the gate of the sheep pen, making sure wolves and lions, and bears did not kill the sheep.  He learned very quickly to look to the Father and pray for not only the skill but the power to protect what had been entrusted to him.  David also as a small boy learned a very important quality that served him all his life, and it is a quality that most of the modern Church must learn if they are to have a victorious life in Christ.  David learned as a small boy, he did not have the power or skills to take on the enemies that would come to kill his flock, but if he would trust God and sought Him, God would do it all for Him.  He learned to look to and put his trust not in David, but in God, and that is what is so needed in God’s people today.

 

When we do so, we have no fear of asking a Father who loves us to test our hearts.  David had learned way before becoming a king that he was the apple of God’s eye.  Brennan Manning, tells a story in the Ragamuffin Gospel, of an old man praying on a bridge in Ireland and a priest out to see a family walking upon him.  The old man does not see the priest, so the priest stops and listens to the man praying.  The priest walks us to the man and says, “You and God must be very close”, and the old man answers, “Yes He is very fond of me.”  What an insight into the Father's love for a child of His that looks to Him, who seeks His direction, and who obeys His commandments.  So that brings a question to my very small mind, do you have a relationship with the Lord and know you are the apple of His eye?

 

You and I must understand the world of David and the world we live in has not changed, many are by choice enemies of God, and they hate all that God has commanded, and all who follow after Him.  David's prayer is a good model for all of us.  By your hand save me from such people, Lord,  from those of this world whose reward is in this life.  Many foolish people will seek the rewards in this life, but will not bow a knee to the only true God, who sent His only Son to die for all sins yours and mine.

 

From the Back Porch,

 

Bob Rice

No comments: