Friday, April 4, 2014

Meeting the minimum Requirement


Matthew 19:16-17

“And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”

How can one perform in a manner to meet God’s expectations?  Mankind, from the beginning, has asked the question and it is the question religious groups love to give answers to.  In the world today the question is stilling being asked, but from the back porch it seems mankind has rephrased the question to ask; what is the minimum requirement to have life eternal in heaven?  This young man is not asking a casual question, he is a good guy, with a desire to meet all the requirements of God, so Jesus came back with a question: “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good.”  (Matthew 19:17b)  Is Jesus not asking, why are you coming to me, what authority, what role have you allocated to me?  What a great question, for Jesus is making it clear, only God is good, and is He not implying  that when the young man called Him good; why you are coming to me, is it because you believe that I am God?

Jesus ends the statement in verse 17 with these words: “If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”   This is were it gets interesting for this seeker of truth, and do not let anyone inform you other wise, this guy is sincere, he is like you and me, he wants the best of life today and eternity as well, so he asks Jesus which commandments?  And this is the dialog between the two of them; And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.  (Matthew 19:18b-22)

What a young man, he has never murdered, he has kept himself sexually pure, he never talked bad about anyone, he has never stolen, he honors his father and mother, and he has loved his neighbor as himself.  This writer had to confess to this truth, unlike the young man who is addressing Jesus; I’ve broken all of these and fallen short of the requirement of any deeds that will allow entrance into the kingdom of heaven, without grace I have no hope. 

I’ve often missed the big picture, looking for the big picture, and it sure seems the young man in the story did the same, for Jesus who knew all about this young man, and who looks at the heart and not the words or even the actions of a person, knows our heart also.  How arrogant can a person be, to believe they can con God, but is it not the story of mankind?  This was the big picture, If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”  Eternal life, begins the day you enter into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, it is an exchanged life, you dying to the lust of your flesh and running to the Holy Spirit, the Helper, who was sent to guide us into all truth.  It is also the beginning of seeing the need to be holy, for God is holy, and in the pursuit of holiness we must agree with the prophet Isaiah, "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty." (Isaiah 6:5)


From the Back Porch,

Bob Rice

No comments: