Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"But God"


Revelation 3:8

The letter to the church in Philadelphia, the angel of that church had John write; “I know your works.  Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut.  I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.”  Power is not a subject we converse about much in the church today, have you stopped and I do mean stopped your very busy life and just reflected on the power of Jesus Christ in your life, not in your neighbors, not in your pastors; if not, today is a good day to reflect on the power of Christ in your life.

How much power do you contribute to God, does your God have divine power over nature, is your God all knowing and is He ever present, is He infinite, can He take what is not and speak it into being, how big is your God?  If the above does not refer to your God, then He is not the God of the Bible.  The author of 1Chronicles does a great tribute to God; “Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours.  Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all.  Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all.  In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all.”   Last week we visited Crossroads in Houston and Pastor York used this phrase in his sermon, “But God”, and later that week Craig Hearn sent me this, but God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer (Psalm 66:19); but God will redeem my life from the grave (Psalm 49:15); but God raised him from the dead (Acts 2:24); For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything. (Hebrews 3:4)  Have you stopped yet to reflect on the “but God” happenings in your life? 

I have ask you to stop and reflect on the power of Jesus Christ in your life, and I also must do that; this is a very hard time for many of us, many of my dearest friends who have labored and saved are seeing a life of savings disappear and many are fearful, and angry.  Once more I’ve found solitude in 2 Chronicles 20:12, “O our God, will you not execute judgment on them? For we are powerless, against this great horde that is coming against us.  We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you.”  The apostle John, reminds us of what Jesus said in John 15:5, “I am the vine; you are the branches.  If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”  To have the power of Jesus Christ in my life, I must abide in the vine (Christ).  Jesus said these words, “Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.”  Lord, often I do not know what to do, but my eyes are on you.


From the Back Porch,

Bob Rice

No comments: