Tuesday, November 10, 2020

A Wise man brings down the stronghold of the mighty

 November 10, 2020

 

Proverbs 21:22

 

A wise man scales the city of the mighty and brings down the stronghold in which they trust.

 

Before I begin this paper, let me share my question with our very small class this week.  My question was how do I become a wise man who can remove the stronghold in which they trust?  Before going forward let me share verse 23, “Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.”   Now let me share with you what I did with that small group of five people.  Keeping my opinions to myself has never been my strong suit.  I ask them, I will now ask you to pray for me because my mouth and tongue have often gotten me in a lot of trouble.  A very wise man in the class gave me this council about how to become a wise man, he told me to look to the Lord, and the Holy Spirit will open my eyes about how to become a wise man.

 

With that disclaimer out of the way, shall we begin this journey together?  I began in Psalm 119:30, “I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I have set my heart on your laws.”  Could we say the beginning of being wise is to make a choice to be faithful to what you understand about Scripture, and to apply it to the way you live life, business, home, and relationships, beginning with Jesus? 

 

Now I find pride will also be a showstopper if you desire to be wise, look with me at Proverbs 13:10, “Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.”  Pride is a tool of the enemy of our soul, but we find that Proverbs 12:15, is very clear of the need to have Godly council; The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.”  Be very careful where you seek advice, not from Fox News, or The New York Times, or NBC, CBS, CNN, but from Godly men and women.

 

We all must begin seeking wisdom, Proverbs 9:10 tells us the following; “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.”  This is not talking about degrees, or you making it to the CEO title, it has little to do with intelligence, for some of the most foolish people I had the opportunity to meet, were very intelligent but they were totally a zero in the ways of God.  We are not talking about being rich or the title you hold, but are you a wise person?

 

I’m sure that there is much I’ve missed, but I’m open to counseling, and the desire of my heart is to scale the walls and bring down the foolishness of what many have put their trust in, and with God’s leadership maybe you will join me in asking the Father to give us the heart of a Joshua, or a Caleb, who did mighty things in their old age!

 

From the Back Porch,

 

Bob Rice 

 

 

 


No comments: