Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Unchecked Emotions




Psalm 31:1-5

“In you, O Lord, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame; in your righteousness, deliver me!  Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily!
Be a rock of refuge for me,
 a strong fortress to save me!  For you are my rock and my fortress, and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me;
you take me out of the net they have hidden for me,
 for you are my refuge.
Into your hand, I commit my spirit;
 you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.”

God gave us emotions, without them, we would not have passions and sensations, and that is a good thing.  But when they are unchecked, and we allow them to rule over us, we have a roller coaster life, and that’s a hard person to live with or have as a friend.  But as I read Psalm 31, we have an example of what emotions can do in our walk with the Lord.

As we explore the three words used by David to describe God, they are mighty, rock, refuge, and fortress.  God is our Rock, He cannot be moved, and I can put my trust in Him.  A refuge is a place of security that we find in the Word of God and in earnest prayer.  And a Fortress is a place of protection from one's enemies, and last the Net, yes the net, we often get caught up in the net that is set by the enemy, the one Jesus calls a thief in John 10:10.

Now you may be thinking, I’ve never been caught in anyone’s net, but you are so wrong.  The world and the devil have many nets, the desire for what your neighbor has, being proud of what you have, the anger and fear you have against people you do not know.  What about the desire for more, when you have been blessed with so much, yes, never satisfied and never thankful?  Those are only a small sampling of the many nets set to entrap us.

But keep reading Psalm 31:6-24, and though David was allowing his emotions to give him highs and lows, he knew that God was faithful and that often David was not, in fact, unlike many who are blind to their sins, David was not.  In verse 10, he confesses the many problems he has and is having or reaping what he has sown.  David ends verse ten in this manner, “because of my sinfulness.”  In verses 11-13, David shares the effect of what sin has done in his life.  But once more in verses 14-16, he affirms God’s authority and control over both his life and his enemies.  In verses 17-18, David asks the Lord to deal harshly with his enemies.  Now read David’s counsel to all who follow Jesus in the closing two verses: “Love the Lord, all you his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.  Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!”

From the Back Porch,

Bob Rice






No comments: